Tuesday, February 3, 2009

weaning mommy

so i have been weaning myself off the baby monitor. madelyn can open her door and come out when she wakes up and i have decided that i don't need to hear every little noise she makes. plus, it helps me not have as many interruptions to my sleep when she coughs or first starts to wake up (i have enough interruptions of my own from being pregnant). i still use it at night but have not been using it while she naps during the day. my goal is to stop using it at night, but for now i have just turned the volume very, very low so that i can almost hear her better down the hall than over the monitor.

this morning she didn't even set off the monitor anyway (i have it set to only come on when noises are present). she just opened her door, walked down the hall, opened our door, got the tv remote off my nightstand, and climbed up in bed to lay next to me under the covers. she has never slept in our bed or spent any snuggle time there, so it was pretty special. i think that matt was a little sad that he had to go to work while maddie and i laid in bed snuggling while we watched a little of the today show.

it didn't last very long because she was ready to "eat" her "mealoat", but it was really nice that she came to me when she was ready instead of me having to go and get her. love.

3 comments:

Zachritz Family said...

Not having the monitor on has been awesome for me in the past and present! I actually have had to turn it off a few times when Ford is awake but just playing, so I can get some sleep. When I turned it off with Annabell..around 9 months...I slept so much better and I think she did too, or at least she seemed to, ha. Maddie is as cute as ever! Annabell keeps saying 'cheese' while watching the video.

Becky said...

It is hard to give up the monitor, especially at night. We dropped ours about a year ago for Trae. It does help you sleep so much better. And, once you know they can get out of bed or call for help on their own, it really isn't needed any more. However, my sister-in-law, whose kids are 5,7, and 9 still uses one and says she has no intentions of giving it up anytime soon. So to each his own :)

Lorelai and Kinley call me Mom said...

Good luck to you! I'm addicted to mine. I have told myself I have to give it up by the time Lorelai goes to college, though :)