Thursday, July 8, 2010

imaginary friends and more

madelyn has a lot of imaginary playmates. usually they are familiar names of cartoon/book characters or friends we have recently played with, but last night she came up with some that needed to be shared. last night four friends arrived in a "red car" and madelyn let them in through the garage door (she often asks to let 'friends' in through the front door which requires matt or i to help with the chain at the top of the door). arriving were "alice", "chew-cha", "who-ha", and alice's little brother "chewper".

these names stuck around too because she never varied from them and still remembered them all this morning. the imaginary friends work out well until they 'want' a snack or drink because imaginary drinks and snacks are not acceptable to madelyn and i get tired of the extra dishes to wash. we often have to say that friends can't stay for dinner.

madelyn definitely has a preference for red transportation. she is always excited to see a red car or truck (i think this might be lighting mcqueen inspired). when i took the kids to church the saturday before we left for indiana (matt was at a charity golf tournament) we parked next to a yellow motorcycle. when madelyn saw it she told me that she "wants a red motorcycle so that she can drive really fast!" i told her that she would have to talk with her daddy about that.

when we all got home that night i asked madelyn about what she told me at church. matt's response? "over my dead body". which sent madelyn bursting into tears declaring that she did want a red motorcycle! this continued back and forth for a little bit before madelyn gave up the argument - for now...

even though she disagreed with daddy on this topic, most of the day i hear "i want my dada" in a whiny, baby voice. my response to this has become, "me too" or "do you want to call him on the phone?" when i say "me too" she tells me that i already said that to which i respond that so did she. and now that i have asked if she wants to call him so many times her whine has become, "i want my dada. but i don't want to call him on the phone." love.

3 comments:

Witenkling Mommy said...

I love the imaginary friend names. i thought Lorelai was the only one who made up phonetic names like that. i don't think she's ever had a Suzy or Bob or anything simple. I bet you're probably right about the red transportation thing - Cars.

Grandma Z. said...

Madelyn is too funny! She must have been really serious about the motor cycle and Matt was really serious about his answer. I can only imagine Maddie's disappointment and her pouty face. Cute story.

Zachritz Family said...

So funny. I also say "me too!" haha, especially when i was pregnant with Jude! I said it quite often then! ha.