Friday, September 11, 2009

random bits

just a quick bit of randomness with pictures of the kids from sunday.

- the "why?" line of questioning is almost a fun game for me. i have taken it as a personal challenge to always have an answer. i have learned that the longer and more detailed my response, the less likely she is to ask "why" again in that series. although it has also led her to pause and start at the beginning again with the original question.

- today she asked me "why are you talking?" when i was trying to make conversation with her in the car. it was sincere too, not at all rude.

- madelyn often tells me to "be careful, mommy. be careful!" when i am coming up the stairs or doing some other activity that i would have told her to be careful. and she is genuinely concerned about my well being.

- speaking of my well being. madelyn was a perfect nurse for me while i was sick yesterday. she stayed quiet while i napped, brought me anything i needed, gave me several checkups with her doctor kit, and every time i would wake up she asked, "feeling better, mommy? feeling better?"

- mason has been waking up about an hour after we put him down and i finally remembered that madelyn used to do the same thing. last night he was able to get himself back to sleep after a few minutes of sporadic crying and tonight there was just a little grunting as he got situated and fell back asleep. now if i can just remember this for the next one i won't get so frustrated and think that they are having trouble sleeping.

- madelyn has found a new phrase that she knows will always get me to come - "i'm in trouble, mommy!" (or mason/daddy's in trouble) she figured it out when i told her to go tell daddy that i needed help when he couldn't hear me and mason had spit up all over me and i didn't want to get up.

- today we went to by a carseat cover so that we can take madelyn's carseat when we go on vacation. i was explaining to her (during a "why" series) that we would be taking her seat and mason's seat on the airplane. after all sorts of questioning she added that we couldn't take "mommy's seat" because there wouldn't be any room for mommy! i told her that she was right about that! love.

1 comment:

Witenkling Mommy said...

It took us a lot longer to figure out the extended answers shorten the game (victory for parents). Good for you! Can't wait to see you guys later this week :) When I told her you were coming a week from Friday, she said, 'I want to see Maddie right now.'