Thursday, July 31, 2014

maddux loses his first tooth

a molar. sigh. but he if feeling SO much better now!

i posted the news about his swollen face and tooth pain yesterday. well, my sweet friend ann saw the post and then contacted me to find out more. she was really concerned that this needed more aggressive treatment (ann is a pa). so i sent her a few pictures and some more info. she strongly suggested that i consider a second opinion. a quick call to matt to see what he thought (since he is the only other person who has seen maddux in person - and his dad). he asked me to send him a few pictures to show the e.n.t.s at work. one of them said that we should get him into the dentist immediately and if we couldn't get in, then we should take him to the e.r. because he might need iv antibiotics!

last night's restless sleep in our bed. this picture best shows his red stripe on the jawline. (notice his baseball medal in his hand.)

the dentist was able to get him right in. the dentist then came back out and said that he wanted to pull the tooth. it has been so much trouble over the past year and is the source of the infection. i agreed. it isn't ideal to have a molar pulled. he will have to have spacers put in at some point to make up for its loss. maddux did have to be numbed, which he did not like at all, but the tooth came out easily and he should feel better almost immediately.

well, he was sobbing when he came out with a huge wad of gauze in his mouth. and he cried for at least 30 minutes straight. i think some of the crying was due to the fact that he has not been able to sleep through the night for the better part of this week. the most pitiful part was how much he wanted me to comfort him. once i had him all buckled into his carseat, he asked me to come back and give him a hug. so i got out of the car and hugged him for 30 seconds. and then did it again. and again. and again until he told me it was okay to drive.

since he could only eat soft foods, we stopped by the grocery store to pick up ice cream for him to eat for dinner. he was still crying and had gauze in his mouth with me carrying him. i am sure we were quite the sight.

finally resting at home
special ice cream dinner

at bedtime he already looked much better and told me with a big smile that his 'tooth' didn't hurt any more - that it was getting better.

if you see something, say something. if ann hadn't have expressed her concern, i would have given the antibiotics at least one more day before calling. thanks, ann!

love.

3 comments:

Witenkling Mommy said...

Yikes! I thought it looked pretty bad myself, and saw your friend's comment, but I have no frame of reference for that kind of thing. Happy that he's on the mend.

Our family said...

I'm so relieved he is better! Thanks for the shout out.:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I wish I had known. I didn't see this post until late last night on my way to bed. Don't know why I hadn't checked the blog (well, I had been exhausted from D. visit & was pretty much a zombie Wed.). I often check during the week but have figured out that you do a lot of your posting on the weekend it seems. Poor little guy. That was awful for him. I'm glad you got him into the dentist instead of waiting. I bet that was painful for him! So glad he seems to have recovered quickly after the tooth was pulled. (well--I realize there was much crying on his part and much comforting on yours) Bet he liked getting ice cream :) (if it wasn't too cold). Nana