Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the makings of a really bad day

monday night our network at the office had some sort of virus problem that kept it down until after business hours on tuesday. as i am approaching my maternity leave - very quickly - every day counts and it was difficult for me to have a day down. i did what i could with calling folks on my cell phone (my office phone runs through our network and therefore did not work). once everything came back on line last night i got to work and got in 3 to 4 good hours. and that was really, really lucky...

i did a few quick emails before taking madelyn to school this morning. i did the unusual and made myself a large iced coffee to get me going for my day hoping to make up some work missed by being down the day before. and that was my mistake. my large coffee found its way to my laptop keyboard, iphone, remote keyboard, expense report receipts, notebook, files, etc. almost as soon as i sat down to work after dropping madelyn off. (it might have had some help from mason...)

my reaction was so quick that i scared mason. he laid face down on the floor crying the entire time i cleaned up the mess. it took an entire roll of paper towels and about 15/20 minutes to get everything cleaned up. i quickly undocked my computer, removed the battery (it has already turned itself off - almost instantly), and turned it upside down. i used our personal computer to search for tips on what i should do. i was actually feeling nauseous at the idea of damaging my computer that had just been repaired and returned to me a few weeks ago; not to mention having more down time.

my computer is still not working. i spoke to our m.i.s. director after two hours to see what he wanted me to do. i hated to even call him about this after the past few days he had dealt with but it actually gave him a great laugh which actually did make me feel a little better. he has overnighted me the replacement computer again (the same computer i just returned to him a few days ago) and we are just hoping that my regular computer is salvageable - or at least that the data will be.

and it wasn't just my laptop, my iphone got some of the spill and would only work on speaker phone all day. i am happy to report that it seems to be working properly again this evening. whew!

to post about this now does not even begin to capture how stressful all this was today. i still just can't believe that it ever happened and feel horrible. mason just cried and cried the rest of the morning until i finally just put him down at 11am when he wouldn't touch our early lunch (i was taking a mental break from my office with lunch). it occurred to me this afternoon that he was probably such an emotional mess because of all the shots he got yesterday. madelyn always had a day or two where she was just 'off' and more emotional after shots.

when i went to pick up madelyn from school this afternoon i learned that her teacher was at the hospital getting her water broken after being 6cm dilated at her check up this afternoon. she was due 2 weeks before me. i am flying to kansas on sunday afternoon for work and have to go to the doctor's office tomorrow to get cleared to travel, a letter for the airline, and my medical records - just in case. after the week this has been i am starting to be a little nervous... (really i am not worried but my doctor is on vacation so i am meeting with someone i don't know and that makes me a little nervous.)

but then i was able to keep it all in perspective after hearing that baby jake was born last night and went to be with God shortly thereafter. there are worse things in life than some ruined electronics or the risk of a missed business trip. i just kept praying for terri and austin all day.

on a lighter/happier note, here is a video of mason 'dancing' and 'nodding'. madelyn adds in her own wacky dance at the end. (she was feeling fancy when she got dressed for school this morning. i think the selection might have been influenced by letting her sleep in a dress-up gown last night.) they love to dance together and daddy joined in the fun after dinner. such a happy way to end this day. love.

3 comments:

Zachritz Family said...

I'm sorry to hear your day wasn't the best. At least the tech guy had a sense of humor.

Witenkling Mommy said...

Yikes. That's a bad day. At Least you had that dance party to turn things around. i love the two dancing together at the end. I've been praying for Austin, Terri and Jake, too.

Grandma Z. said...

That is so cute! Mason looks for his big sister to help him have fun dancing. I am so sad about Baby Jake. Your friends have great strength and faith.