Wednesday, June 22, 2011

bittersweet

madelyn's birthday was also filled with sadness when my grandma, me-ma, died at the age of 91.  she died without pain, in her own home, with my mom by her side.
i was filled with sadness that afternoon and had to explain to madelyn why.  i told her that me-ma was probably going to heaven to be with jesus today and i was going to miss her.  that is why i was sad, but i am also happy because me-ma gets to be with jesus.  madelyn said that she was sad too because she wouldn't get to see me-ma when we go to florida.  i said, yes, that was true.  after a moment spent quietly madelyn asked, "but will i still get to see her bird?"  and that made me laugh and tell her that i thought we would.

i was also sad that me-ma never got to meet maddux and that we had to postpone our bi-annual trip to florida this year because of matt's new job.  we were planning on going in the early spring but matt won't have enough vacation time until september.  i last saw me-ma when mason was 8 weeks old - almost two years ago.  it makes me that much more grateful for skype.  me-ma would sometimes come in to say hi to the kids and sing patty-cake to them while we were on with my parents. whenever mason heard her, he would come running over to the monitor to watch her clap and sing.

me-ma was a beautiful artist, a talented seamstress, generally crafty, a strong woman with a laugh that will stay with me and a blessing in my life.  she will be greatly missed and was greatly loved.  love.

1 comment:

Witenkling Mommy said...

Aw. What a nice tribute to your grandma.