Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the first 24 hours

i really should have taken some notes, but i didn't...

manning was born just before four so after the first hour matt took off to get the kids and relieve our neighbor (we never thought that it would take so long). the kids visited for a bit and had some dinner (there was a mcdonalds downstairs - ironic, right?). they were trying to wait until i was moved to my room (we had heard that i would be moved after the birth but no one had mentioned it to us yet).

when they came to move me my legs were still numb from the epidural so they couldn't. it was getting to be too late for the kids (and daddy), so they headed out for the night. it was still a little while before they came back to move me. i still couldn't bear weight on my right side but apparently i had stayed too long and they were moving me anyway. it was a challenge to get me into the wheelchair; mainly because i was so much taller than the nurse helping me. she asked two other nurses to help once we got to the new room.

manning was in the nursery through all of this. he was considered 'large' for his gestational age so that meant blood tests every four hours in addition to the other normal poking and prodding.

once i was in my room and my new nurse briefed on my delivery she started to chat. she asked about manning and if i have any other children. i told her that i did and we talked about their ages. then she asked if they all had the same father! i guess she must see that with new moms and i didn't have anyone with me, but there must be a better way to ask that sort of question.

this nurse was not only shorter than me but she had a horrible limp and the idea of her helping me to the bathroom was almost comical. my leg almost had all of the feeling back so i didn't need her to do more than keep me steady since i was a little wobbly. she started out the night very friendly but by morning she wasn't even returning my greeting each time she came in. i am not sure if it was something i did or if she just had a bad night but it was the first time i have had a nurse not come and say goodbye at the end of her shift.

today manning spent most of his day away from me getting all of his tests so that we could leave today. when matt and i spoke we decided that he should just wait to come up with the kids until we were ready to be released. plus he was busy with all of the cleaning to prepare for my parents' visit - they were arriving tonight.

manning was the only one not to get hospital pictures. this hospital uses an outside company and every time they came by for him he was away. oh well.

very thankful that we were both able to leave after 24 hours and that we checked out healthy. love.

2 comments:

Witenkling Mommy said...

I didn't know there still were' nurseries'... stinky that the nurse was in a bad mood. Oh well, I'm sure you were in a great one and ready to roll.

Candice and Davidson said...

I have been asked multiple times if my children have my same last name when scheduling appointments, etc.and if they all have the same father. It's a sad day that this has become the "norm", but you're right I'm sure they see it a lot so they just have to ask.