Sunday, October 11, 2009

first trip

on wednesday night i left for my first business trip since having mason. thankfully i was only going to be away for just over 24 hours (i have an amazing boss who wants to limit my travel). the short length of the trip made it easier to go but not any easier to leave. madelyn started crying before we left the house but stopped. once we stopped to drop me at the airport she was hysterical! matt said she cried the whole way home, but when i called to let matt know i had landed she was able to talk to me happily on the phone. it is so weird to talk to her on the phone! her voice sounds so different. it is nice that she is willing to carry on a conversation on the phone now - it was actually hard to get her off the phone!
the report from matt was that everyone did great. mason did a good job with the bottle and madelyn had a lot of fun with daddy all day. the highlight was playing dress up (or so she told me on the phone as i waited for my flight home). matt tried to get a picture of her dressed as a cheerleader and wearing her birthday hat - she didn't really want to hold still.
the best part of a trip is coming home. madelyn was so excited to see me and held my hand the whole way home. it was hard on my shoulder, but how could i resist. she kept telling me that they came to pick me up at the airport and that she loved me very much while rubbing my hand on her cheek. when we got home i put madelyn to bed while matt changed mason's diaper and got him ready for bed. after i was done with madelyn i went and got mason from matt. mason pushed back from my shoulder so that he could see my face and once he had eye contact he broke out in a huge smile and started laughing! he was so excited to see me that it took him a while to start nursing - he just wanted to smile at me. the funny thing is that whenever i would come home when madelyn was an infant she always felt way bigger than when i left, but mason felt much smaller to me.
its so good to be home! love.

2 comments:

Witenkling Mommy said...

Even though it was tough to leave, I'm sure the return was so sweet and made you feel extra special :)

Grandma Z. said...

It's funny to hear you say that Mason seemed smaller, because you are always talking about how big he is. He is just perfect!!