Tuesday, August 20, 2013

preparing for the first day of school

unfortunately, the kids all had catastrophic meltdowns last night and we were not able to do anything fun/special today for madelyn's last day of 'summer'.  but we still had to prepare for school tomorrow.  so after lunch, she and i sat at the table and labeled all of her school supplies that needed labeling and then loaded everything up into her backpack.

madelyn has been doing a wonderful job of not biting her nails (we have been working really hard on getting some "white tips" all summer) so i offered to paint them for her first day.  this is what she picked - one hand of pale blue and one hand of magenta.  these are both colors found in her outfit and madelyn isn't one for simplicity.  the hardest part was waiting for them to dry (we even use a quick 60-second dry coat).

i was feeling worse and worse about not having met her teacher so i sent her this email:

I just had to write because I am so disappointed that I won't even know who you are for three more weeks!  I am really shocked that there isn't an open house, but that is not your decision so I will just leave it at that.

Madelyn is a little nervous about not knowing you or where to go tomorrow but I have assured her that there will be people there to help her find her way (and I just saw the post that I am correct).  Of the few kids she knows in the class, two were ones that gave her problems last year.  I don't want to tell you their names because I am optimistic that this year will be better!

I don't really have any specific questions or concerns but I am just struggling with Madelyn spending 8 hours a day with someone who I would not recognize on the street and thought that at least sending you an email would be some sort of connection.  

Madelyn is really very excited and thinks she might know who you are from seeing you occasionally last year.  We are looking forward to a great year and meeting you in a few weeks!

Have a great first day tomorrow!


so what do you think?  i don't come off as too crazy, do i?  it made me feel a little better.  at least i tried to connect with her teacher before dropping her off tomorrow.  i never did get a response, but i didn't really expect one either.

now we are off to her first soccer practice on a week night!  love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your email was nice. I would think that she would write you back eventually, hope so. First days are hectic & teachers are nervous too. :) I always tried to write a letter to my parents about myself/family/background, etc. So glad to hear on fb that you were able to walk Madelyn to her classroom. Nice to talk with her tonight. Love, Nana